Saturday 26 March 2011

Have your cake and eat it

So there I was smugly telling everyone how my back hadn't played up in so long I was convinced it had sorted itself out (after 20 years of pain most days) when out of the blue I couldn't get out of bed this morning.
Back on the voltoral, which, washed down with 3 double espressos, seems to have taken the edge off but the pain is still a 4-5 :(
Not one to take to my bed (it hurts more lying down actually)and with 2 demanding kids in need of some mummy time I decided to bake a cake. Cooking is my one concession to domesticity, though Nigella Lawson I aint, so it was with some trepidation that I attempted a Lemon Drizzle Cake...
Here's the recipe for anyone who'd like some serious brownie points (sorry!) for very little input. And, by the way, the back pain went down to 2-3 after eating it so maybe it really is a miracle worker.
Lemon Drizzle Cake
225g Unsalted butter
225g Caster sugar
225g Self raising flour
4 eggs
Zest (grated) of 2 lemons
For the drizzle topping - Juice of 2 lemons + 85g Caster sugar

Heat the over to 170c and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper
Best together the butter + sugar
Add the eggs, slowly, one at a time
Fold in the flour + lemon zest
Bake for c45 mins
While your masterpiece is cooling, mix the lemon juice + caster sugar (for the topping), prick the cake with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment