Wednesday 7 September 2011

Birthday blues

Call it poor planning but both my kids' birthdays fall in September, exactly a week apart. With the age gap being substantial enough that a joint party might bring an insurance claim (you get the picture?)this means 2 parties, 2 family get togethers etc etc.

It never fails to amaze me that however well behaved the child in question is usually, a tantrum and tears will, at some point on their birthday, come around. If you're lucky it's a one off, if you're not it can take over (and ruin) the party/ day/ week.

This year it was on the top of the softplay thing. Right at the top. Now to most people this is probably no big deal. Climb through the bendy back rack thing, through the tunnel designed for 6 year olds, up the net ladder and along the tightrope (without falling on the trampoline underneath where the mean kids all laugh at you cos you fell off). For me, with probably the worst self diagnosed claustrophia/vertigo ever, this was going to test more than maternal instinct.

I won't bore you with the details surfice to say I was bright red in the face, covered in sweat, and with neither my dignity nor my pride in place when I skidded back down the big blue slide into the parents' viewing area. My son recovered the minute he ate the sugar laden 'lunch'. I took 4 hours!

Can't say I'm looking forward to 12 2 year olds and their parents descending on us on Sunday. Is it ok to drink from 3 o clock on such occasions?

No comments:

Post a Comment